Coming To The Table Resources and Guides
Movies and Videos
This is list of the films viewed by our Movie Circle. To learn more about our Movie Circle, click here.
- "Amazing Grace" - Documentary: A documentary presenting Aretha Franklin with choir at the New Bethel Baptist Church in Watts, Los Angeles in January 1972.
- American Son: An estranged couple reunite in a Florida police station to help find their missing teenage son.
- "An American Story-Race, Amity and the Other Tradition": Documentary from the National Center for Race Amity and Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame Awardee, Dr. William H. ‘Smitty’ Smith, Ed. D. comes “An American Story – Race Amity and the Other Tradition.” A film that tackles racism through friendship and collaboration.
- Brian Banks: A football player's dreams to play in the NFL are halted when he is wrongly convicted and sent to prison. Years later, he fights to clear his name within an unjust system.
- Harriet: The extraordinary tale of Harriet Tubman's escape from slavery and transformation into one of America's greatest heroes, whose courage, ingenuity, and tenacity freed hundreds of slaves and changed the course of history.
- If Beale Street Could Talk: A young woman embraces her pregnancy while she and her family set out to prove her childhood friend and lover innocent of a crime he didn't commit.
- Just Mercy: World-renowned civil rights defense attorney Bryan Stevenson works to free a wrongly condemned death row prisoner.
- Same Kind of Different as Me: International art dealer Ron Hall must befriend a dangerous homeless man in order to save his struggling marriage to his wife, a woman whose dreams will lead all three of them on the journey of their lives.
- The Best of Enemies: Civil rights activist Ann Atwater faces off against C.P. Ellis, Exalted Cyclops of the Ku Klux Klan, in 1971 Durham, North Carolina over the issue of school integration.
- The Last Black Man in San Francisco: A young man searches for home in the changing city that seems to have left him behind.
- The Social Dilemma: Tech experts sound the alarm on the dangerous human impact of social networking.
- Uncorked: Elijah must balance his dream of becoming a master sommelier with his father's expectations that he carry on the family's Memphis BBQ joint.
- What Men Want: A woman is boxed out by the male sports agents in her profession, but gains an unexpected edge over them when she develops the ability to hear men's thoughts.
Want more movies to watch? Please take a look at this list as well.
In addition to films we also have several videos to assist with your learning. Please click here to view them.
Articles and Books
We have several articles to help you with your learning. Please click here to view them.
You can also read the books read and disscused by our Book Circle. To learn more about Book Circle, click here.
Want more books to read, please take a look at this list as well.
https://reparations4slavery.com/ - A portal designed for white Americans to help them better understand the true history and impact of slavery, the nature of institutional racism and how their families fit into the puzzle. It also provides ways and opportunties where they can begin to repair the damage.
"A man dies when he refuses to stand up for that which is right. A man dies when he refuses to stand up for justice. A man dies when he refuses to take a stand for that which is true."
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.